Advertisement

Benkelman evacuation order lifted

Approaching fire triggered earlier order
Wildfire had threatened Nebraska town
Wildfire had threatened Nebraska town(AP Newsroom)
Published: Jan. 15, 2021 at 6:21 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BENKELMAN, Neb. (KSNB) - An evacuation order for the southwest Nebraska town of Benkelman has been lifted. The Dundy County Sheriff’s Department posted a message that Emergency Management officials gave all clear and said people could return to their homes as of 7:15 a.m. MST (8:15 a.m. CST).

The evacuation order had been given overnight as an out of control fire was nearing the southwest Nebraska town.

People were told at the time to exit the town to the east or west. Smoke from the fire has caused visibility to be near zero in spots.

Unnecessary travel on Highway 34 in the Benkelman area is still not recommended as people return to their homes and the fire situation continues to be monitored.

Anyone needing medical care was advised to go to the hospitals in either Wray, CO or Imperial, NE.

Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.